6.10.2012

Just a one-line vent

Ok, maybe more like one paragraph. Or two. Or... Fuck it.

Sometimes this place is so achingly sad I feel like I carry it around physically - as if it accumulates in my bones and changes the way that I move. I feel so much heavier after a few days of sadness around here. There is just so much hope. It kills me.

An aside: I don't like saying a patient "expired". I hate how that sounds so much. How about, "they've been trying to die for a month and finally won"? Or "patient died"? We call it a time of death, why do so many people say such quaint, stupid things around death?

I can't help but feel like I'm a cog on a conveyor belt sometimes. I love my job a lot, and sometimes I hate it a lot. Probably not for the reasons you'd think.

We can't do much about long term un-interpretable suffering. I can help you with pain as long as you're able to say something or look uncomfortable, or give me some kind of sign. If you're in a long term altered state of consciousness, sometimes we can't tell. Did that hurt? When you moved your arm there, were you trying to tell me something? I can't tell for sure. I am trying so hard to make this comfortable for you, while your loved ones crowd around and sit in the waiting room and talk, try and figure out what to do - what the chances are, what they mean. Can you hear all this? Do you know what they're saying? If I somehow miss a sign that you're terribly uncomfortable, that this is prolonged and endless torture ...

... Would you forgive me? ... hell, will you forgive me?

No comments:

Post a Comment