9.25.2008

Meds, meds, and more meds!

I had an awesome day at clinical yesterday. I was assigned 3 patients and I did all their meds, including insulin and one other subcutaneous injection. That makes 5 people I have injected with things, and they've all gone smoothly. Injections are one of the things that has freaked me out the most about nursing school.

Oddly enough, it doesn't freak me out to do accuchecks and sticking fingers and so forth. Hopefully I will get less freaked about it as time goes by. Right now I feel great about it, and by the end of the night my instructor wasn't even going in patient rooms anymore for me to give the meds, which totally surprised me.

I now have to figure out whether to ask her to recommend me for a preceptorship. I get the vibe that she thinks I am doing well, but I really don't know if I want to base the decision on a vibe. I will probably wait and see what kind of evaluation she writes for me, and I'll ask her then.

I only have 2 weeks left at this clinical, and I have very mixed feelings about that right now. The instructor is scary and yells a lot and can be condescending. But I have learned more in this clinical than I ever thought possible, and I feel like I have improved so much in the last 5 weeks it's like night and day. I also like the unit I am on, which I thought would be boring. I see something completely new every day and I love that. I don't want to do the rotation at the psych hospital. It just has no appeal for me. I have a sense of personal outrage at how I see people talk about and treat mentally ill patients. It infuriates me. Even medical and nursing professionals. I hate the system and feel like it's not really set up to help people get better, as much as set up to profit pharmaceutical companies, as the cures are often so much worse than the mental illness being treated.

1 comment:

  1. So, she yells at you, eh? Say, you wouldn't happen to know what kind of car she drives, would you?

    ;)

    ReplyDelete