8.11.2011

Best.compliment.ever

There was a telltale group of nervous looking younger ladies in clean, pressed scrubs. It didn't occur to me, but a friend of mine and silly night shift buddy went up and asked if they were the new grads. I said "Ohhh, new grads! Makes so much sense". She turned to me and said "This is Nurse Geek. She's up to no good" (sidebar: incriminating details removed, the same reason I don't put pictures on this site). Without missing a beat, I replied, "If all you people even knew the half of it...". Sometimes I have some really good one liners after, say, 4 am or so. I wish I kept that talent throughout the day, because most of the rest of the day I feel completely unlively and positively boring in comparison.

When I first started in the ICU, (probably a week kind of like this one, when I had about zero sleep on board) I said something kind of stupid to one of the PAs (Physician Assistants) that works with us. She was talking about how she was at a party with a lot of the nurses, and she brought a boyfriend. About halfway through the party he remarked that there are a lot of nurses here, do they hate you because you're a PA? At that point, sleep deprived and lacking caution and any kind of filter, I piped up, "You should have been like, 'no, they hate me because I'm a bitch!'". Because I really do make little quips like that all the time, and anyone who knows me would just say "I know, you all hate my bitchiness, I don't even belong here with the rest of you bitches" or something and it would be something we'd all laugh at. Well, not this one. She just stared at me, clearly not seeing the humor. I said something like how that sounded much funnier in my head than in real life.

Funniest thing? This lady and I are really good friends now at work and she has NEVER mentioned it. Ha. Did she forget, or did she later realize that saying stuff like that is just what I do? No idea.

(enjoying my first of nine days off, catching up on my lack of...bloggage? bloggery?)

No comments:

Post a Comment