8.07.2011

Weekly update? Yearly? Oh well...

So I've made it two years. Someone apparently thinks I'm good enough at this job that I should be allowed to teach the new grads. I hope it's someone who is familiar enough with my irreverant sense of humor that they don't get upset when I laugh at things I'm not supposed to laugh at.

I start a new job soon, but only PRN (defined as working at least 2 nights per month or so). It's in a unit that is VERY different and uses technologies and such that we never use on my ICU. I'm terrified because they only give us three nights of orientation. THREE nights.

I've transitioned to nights only. For a long time it was weekends only, (Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights) because I was homeschooling my kids for the year. Next month they go back to public school, and they are all excited and so am I. So now I'm sticking with nights only, but I get to be off more weekends! Hells yeah.

Part of this is because I can't stand the people who work day shift in my ICU. Part of it is that I do better at night - less people around, less management, more independence. So, a number of things.

I'm looking at starting a program next year for grad school if I can put away enough money from my PRN job. I'm planning to have them deposit my checks into an account I don't use that's not connected to my regular checking account. I really hope that works out for me and it's not just a stupid bullshit strategy. I feel like whenever I work overtime I just spend the extra money away as quickly as possible. The idea of never going to grad school in this is really scary and sad for me - but the idea of not having enough money to, you know, live on and send my kids to school - that freaks me out too. My oldest is going to be 14 next month, so it's not a faroff concern either.

No comments:

Post a Comment